Hello, Glenview SD 34!

2024 Open Enrollment is from October 30 - November 10.

Click here or on the Open Enrollment tab for enrollment forms and information regarding changes for January 2024.

Frequently Asked Questions

The most common open enrollment questions are answered here.

Open Enrollment FAQs
When is Open Enrollment? Open Enrollment runs from October 30th through November 10th. Forms are due no later than 11/10/23 and changes/enrollments will go into effect on January 1, 2024.
What changes can be made during Open Enrollment? You are able to add/remove an eligible dependent from your plan(s), cancel or enroll in coverage, enroll in or increase your Optional Life Insurance amount, participate in the Medical and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account or the Health Savings Account (HSA) for the 2024 calendar year.

Can I make changes throughout the year, if I do not make changes during the Open Enrollment period? You are only able to make changes during the Open Enrollment period unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event including marriage, birth of a child, loss or gain of other coverage, etc.

Where can I access the benefit summary/rates/enrollment forms? All Open Enrollment information can be found on the Employee Benefits Center after 10/17/2023.

If I am not making changes, do I need to do anything? If you wish to participate in the FSA or HSA for the 2024 calendar year, you are required to re-enroll and submit a new election form each year.

How do I know which insurance plan I have? You may check your BCBS card or go to check history in Skyward and click on the most recent check number. You will see the abbreviation for your plan listed in your Deductions summary.
PPO 750 = P58206 
PPO 1000 = PI4868 
PPO 1000 (HRA) = PJ4048
HDHP 3000 (HSA) = PI4869
HMO A = H56154
HMO B = B56153
Dental = P64507

Where and how should I submit my enrollment forms? Forms can be scanned/emailed to Lauren Hackett at benefits@glenview34.org, sent via interoffice mail to Lauren in the Admin building, mailed, or dropped off in person.

How will I know that you received and processed my change/enrollment forms? Lauren
Hackett will send an email confirmation upon receipt of the form(s), and again once changes have
been processed, along with any new payroll deductions.

When is the first payroll deduction for changes made for the 2024 calendar year? Changes for
Medical and Dental will take place on the December 29th payroll, since we deduct for coverage in
advance of the effective date (i.e. the December 29th deduction is for coverage period: January 1st
through the 14th).
What is the difference between PPO 1000 and PPO 1000 with HRA?
PPO 1000 with HRA is plan PJ4048. This is a plan that will be terminated 12/31/23. If you are currently
on this plan, you will automatically get moved into the PPO 1000 plan (PI4868). If you prefer to enroll in the
PPO 1250 or HMO plans instead, you must complete an Enrollment form and return by 11/10/23.
Do I need to complete an Enrollment form if I am currently enrolled in the PPO 750 plan?
Similar to PPO 1000 with HRA plan above, those currently enrolled in the PPO 750 (also terminating
12/31/23) will automatically get moved into the PPO 1000 plan (PI4868). Enrollment forms are not required to make this change.

Annual enrollment forms are required to participate in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and the Health Savings Account (HSA). The HSA account is used by those enrolled in the High Deductible Health Plan

Where can I find my forms?
The Employee Benefit Center has been redesigned and offers tabs at the top to get you to all information available for Open Enrollment, plan brochures, FSA plan, HSA plan as well as helpful videos.
For the Annual FSA Enrollment and HSA deduction forms, click on the Open Enrollment tab and scroll down.

What is the new Transit Benefit Program?
This voluntary benefit allows staff to have pre-tax payroll deductions to cover mass transit expenses to get to and from work. Staff can contribute an amount each month up to the IRS pre-tax maximum, which is currently $300. Staff cannot use commuter benefits to pay for a spouse’s or dependent’s commuting expenses. Eligible expenses include public transportation such as CTA, Metra and PACE. More details will
be provided to staff once the district account has been established with Ventra.